How could Lars Owen be Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother?
Venger
2006-07-09 20:58:28 UTC
According to the novelization of Return of the Jedi, which was co-written by
Lucas himself, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lars Owen are brothers.

In chapter three, page 83 of the hardcover copy, it reads: Ben continued
his narrative. "When your father left, he didn't know your mother was
pregnant. Your mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we
wanted to keep you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible. So I
took you to live with my brother Owen, on Tatooine...and your mother took
Leia to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan."

As we saw in Episode III, Anakin was actually aware that Padme was pregnant.
Also, since she died while giving birth, Padme couldn't have taken Leia
anywhere. But we'll forget about these inconsistencies for now. They are
pretty minor compared to the one about Kenobi's brother being Owen Lars. I
can think of three reasons why this makes no sense at all.

1. Owen and Beru were killed by stormtroopers while Luke was off rounding
up R2D2 in Episode IV. Upon hearing of his brother's death from Luke,
Obi-Wan shows no signs of grieving whatsoever.

2. When the crew are stranded on Tatooine in Episode I, Obi-Wan gives no
indication that he is familiar with the planet. He makes no effort to
contact his brother, which is especially odd since Owen could have actually
helped find the parts they needed.

3. Anakin meets Owen Lars when he sets out in search of his missing mother
in Episode II. It turns out that Owen's dad, which would have been
Obi-Wan's dad, married Anakin's mother. Pretty convenient, considering how
big this galaxy is supposed to be. Not only that, but if the future Darth
Vader is actually related to Owen, how smart would it be to hide Luke there
at his home on Tatooine?

Give me your thoughts on this. I've tried to put this behind me, and I just
can't seem to do it. Lucas wrapped his galaxy so tightly around Tatooine
that he actually unraveled part of his story!

But all the same, Star Wars rocks!
Solon
2006-07-09 21:37:13 UTC
Post by Venger
According to the novelization of Return of the Jedi, which was co-written by
Lucas himself, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lars Owen are brothers.
Read item 2.O (or 2.N) of the AFS FAQ:
http://afssmugglersalliance.tripod.com/afs_faq.html

The link given within the FAQ answer can be viewed via web.archive.org:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050306155235/http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020131.html
--
***@gmail.com
Firefox 1.5 is out! <http://www.mozilla.com>
Benny Dreadful
2006-07-09 22:36:54 UTC
I accept all this of course, as it makes sense, but I still find the
idea fascinating. The notion that Obi and Owen were brothers was
viable for quite a long time - I think the first novel in the Jedi
Apprentice series 'The Rising Force' even has Obi recalling his
brother Owen, so it was something that was being considered all these
years. Guess AotC killed it off finally.
Jedi Apprentice
2006-07-17 13:25:04 UTC
Post by Solon
Post by Venger
According to the novelization of Return of the Jedi, which was co-written by
Lucas himself, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Lars Owen are brothers.
http://afssmugglersalliance.tripod.com/afs_faq.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20050306155235/http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020131.html
Although in AOTC when they are over Schmi's grave, there are two other
grave stones. Perhaps one is Cliegg's first wife and the smallest one
is for their "dead" baby (Obi-Wan Kenobi...)
Anybody
SpammersDie
He's already used to seeing brothers burn up.
Anybody
2006-07-10 00:56:27 UTC
Post by Venger
[...]
Of course, Owen is no longer Obi-Wan's brother, but if we ignore that
we can still make sense of the other "problems" ...
Post by Venger
1. Owen and Beru were killed by stormtroopers while Luke was off rounding
up R2D2 in Episode IV. Upon hearing of his brother's death from Luke,
Obi-Wan shows no signs of grieving whatsoever.
Jedi are taken away as babies for training and part of the reason is so
that they do not have any emotional attachment to (or even know) their
families. Being too old when he started training was part of the reason
Anakin "failed".
Post by Venger
2. When the crew are stranded on Tatooine in Episode I, Obi-Wan gives no
indication that he is familiar with the planet. He makes no effort to
contact his brother, which is especially odd since Owen could have actually
helped find the parts they needed.
Owen and Obi-Wan may well not have been born on Tatooine. Owen may have
moved there later (Lars senior from the Prequel movies did move to
Tatooine after his first wife died on Coruscant).
Post by Venger
3. Anakin meets Owen Lars when he sets out in search of his missing mother
in Episode II. It turns out that Owen's dad, which would have been
Obi-Wan's dad, married Anakin's mother. Pretty convenient, considering how
big this galaxy is supposed to be. Not only that, but if the future Darth
Vader is actually related to Owen, how smart would it be to hide Luke there
at his home on Tatooine?
Have you watched the show 'Lost' - almost everyone in that is connected
to everyone else, to the point of it getting ridiculous. :-\

No matter what family relationships exist, "hiding" Luke on Tatooine
doesn't make much sense except when you realise that when Anakin became
Vader he left his old life behind and wasn't about to attend family
reuninons. He also didn't know about the child(ren) being alive and so
wasn't looking for them. He simply had no reason to go back to
Tatooine, and even during Episode IV didn't go down to the planet to
look for the droids. (Realistically Owen and Beru should have given
Luke a different surname - either their own or Beru's maidne name so
she could say he was the son of her sister or something.)